If you’re looking for a natural remedy to cure any number of ailments you may have, essential oils may be the answer you’ve been looking for. They have been used for centuries as part of aromatherapy practice and have been known to help with anything from migraine headaches and menstrual cramps to anxiety and depression. These five essential oils are a perfect place to start and cost $15 or less. Each offer multiple application methods and can be used throughout the day, as often as you’d like.
1. Lemon Oil – This citrus oil not only smells fresh and clean, it also offers up a host of antibacterial and antiseptic properties. Lemon oil’s high potency of D-limonene helps diminish fine lines and wrinkles and promotes circulation in the skin. This compound also has been shown to help repair and replenish skin. This clean scent also has a positive effect on mood. Studies have shown that lemon oil can serve as a natural antidepressant.
2. Lavender Oil – No arsenal of essential oils is complete without the ever-so-popular lavender oil. This multi-faceted oil touts anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antioxidant and antibacterial properties. Needless to say, lavender is a jack of all trades. Although it’s safe, some people are prone to allergic reactions due to the high concentration of linalool. Simply test a small amount on your skin to gauge your body’s reaction. Perhaps one of lavender’s most popular uses is for helping with anxiety. Use a cloth or towel and inhale a small amount of this oil for its calming benefits.
3. Tea Tree Oil – This oil is hot in the natural beauty world right now and rightfully so! Tea tree oil is anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antibacterial and tea tree leaves have been used to treat colds and heal wounds for ages. Use it as a natural mouthwash- it can help treat gingivitis and fight oral bacteria. About 10 drops of tea tree oil, diluted with water will do the trick!
4. Peppermint Oil – Everyone knows how refreshing peppermint is and most likely you already have some in your household (even if it’s in your toothpaste or chewing gum). Peppermint is an antifungal, antiviral and an antioxidant and has been known to successfully treat tension headaches. Next time you get a nagging headache, try sniffing some peppermint oil before reaching for any over the counter headache medicine.
5. Eucalyptus Oil – The fresh minty smell can help clear clogged airways, especially when you have a stuffy nose from a cold. Eucalyptus is also known to help boost your immune system and is an anti-inflammatory. A great way to use this essential oil is to diffuse it in your home. Since this is oil is so concentrated, diffusing it cuts the potency and can also serve as a bug repellent!